Sunday, January 27, 2008

I don’t intend moving

I have a wonderful view from my home office window. I often catch myself daydreaming and staring at the park and the wooded area with up-market housing in the distance.

Today the view is absolutely breathtaking. Everything is green. It is a bright sunny day without any breeze blowing. One can tell from the motionless national flags that most fly with pride. The temperature is about 7 degrees Celsius as it has been every day for the past couple of weeks. People are out in numbers enjoying the wonderful weather and flora. Apparently the wild mushrooms are available in abundance. Roses are budding in the Southern part of this country, lovely!

So what is wrong with this picture?

It is Jan 27th, 2008, in the middle of winter in Stockholm.

The snow should be at least a meter thick with an average temperature of minus 12 to minus 15 degrees Celsius. (Minus 25 degrees Celsius is not uncommon for this time of year)

It should also be grey and overcast as almost to be dark.

Is this global warming?

Indeed it is! In our lifetime we are reaping the result of our rape of the planet. This is not some theoretical prediction that can be shrugged off as a matter concerning the future generations. Something needs to be done now.

My need to address global warming is a bit more selfish.

I still need to try out the boots I bought last year. I will look really stupid if I was to wear Arctic clothing without snow on the ground.

In only 5 years things have taken a turn for the worse. Boots and thermal underwear that was very much needed at the time, are now laughing in my face.

I am not complaining. According to a study Scandinavian countries stand to benefit the most from global warming.

As for the rest of the world, just spread your legs and bend over…

No comments: